- Administrative Practice and Governmental Affairs
- Appellate Practice
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Rights
- Commercial Real Estate
- Commercial, Complex, and Class Action Litigation
- Construction Law
- Corporate and Business Practice
- Corporate/Public Finance and Securities Law
- Economic Development
- Environmental Law
- Estate Planning and Probate
- Federal, State and Local Taxation
- Financial Services
- Foreclosure, Real Estate and Commercial Loan Workouts
- Healthcare (Business and Regulatory)
- Healthcare and Medical Liability
- Insurance Defense and Coverage Law
- Intellectual Property
- Labor and Employment Law
- Media Law
- Mediation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Dispositions of Businesses
- Nonprofit and Tax Exempt Organizations
- Pharmaceutical, Biologic, and Medical Device Litigation
- Products Liability
- Professional Liability and Licensure Matters
- Tax Credits
- Utility and Energy Law
Who We Are
Who We Are
Today’s legal problems are increasingly complex, the stakes often exceedingly high, but the attributes translating into quality legal representation remain constant. In short, there are no substitutes for a lawyer’s experience, skill, diligence, and an unwavering commitment to achieving the best possible result for the client. This is true whether the matter will be resolved in the courtroom, a board room, or across a meeting room table. For 120 years, the lawyers of Rushton Stakely have delivered the highest levels of service and quality to our clients throughout the country.
What We Offer
Rushton Stakely offers experienced lawyers practicing in a broad spectrum of legal fields. When it comes to the courtroom, many will claim the trial experience necessary to handle your case, but Rushton Stakely lawyers actually try cases – the tough cases – for our clients. We understand the courtroom and how to prepare for it. Most significantly, we understand that any comprehensive defense includes the willingness to go to trial and the skills to win once a jury is seated. Our lawyers have defended cases before judges and juries throughout the state and the Southeast. In fact, during most any given week of the year, one or more of our lawyers will be trying a case before a judge or jury.
Rushton Stakely enjoys a sterling reputation for excellence that comes with vast trial experience. Three of our shareholders are Fellows of the American College of Trial Lawyers and eight are members of the American Board of Trial Advocates. In addition, the firm has been recognized in the following publications:
- Listed as a “highly recommended” law firm in Benchmark Litigation, one of the most respected guides to America’s leading litigation firms;
- Designated as a “Tier 1” law firm in the first-ever U.S. News and Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” publication. U.S. News Media Group and Best Lawyers compiled these rankings based on the results of exhaustive surveys of over 9,000 clients and attorneys, including representatives of more than half the Fortune 1000 companies. Rushton Stakely achieved Tier 1 ranking in Alternative Dispute Resolution, Communication Law, General Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, Media and First Amendment Law, Medical Malpractice – Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation–Defendants;
- Listed in Martindale Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent Law Firms;
- A number of our lawyers practicing in trial work have been individually recognized in Benchmark Litigation, Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers (Alabama).
Most of our trial lawyers have tried dozens of cases to verdict in courtrooms throughout the state and several have tried well over 100 cases. In fact, the Alabama Jury Verdict Reporter has tracked state and federal jury verdicts in Alabama since 2002. Rushton Stakely has been at or near the top of that list every year, having tried more Alabama civil cases to jury verdict than any other full-service law firm in the state. Our trial record is particularly compelling given that many firms on the AJVR list are several times the size of our firm.
We also offer highly trained lawyers concentrating in commercial real estate transactions as well as tax, estate, and corporate law. Our real estate and tax/corporate lawyers have a deep understanding of the law and how legal considerations impact our clients’ day-to-day operations. These lawyers bring precision and an attention to detail in the execution of transactions of all types.
Our real estate lawyers represent many prominent borrowers and lenders with both local and national operations, and they are routinely involved in complex transactions involving multiple parties. Our tax/corporate lawyers represent major national, regional and local companies in mergers and acquisitions, securities matters, bond financings, tax planning and controversies, and estate planning.
Our ranks include a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys and a Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. Moreover, Rushton Stakely is recognized by U.S News Best Law Firms, which awarded a Tier 1 ranking to the firm in Real Estate Law, Tax Law, and Trust and Estate Law. In addition, our real estate and business lawyers have been recognized by Chambers USA, Best Lawyers in America, and Super Lawyers Alabama as offering distinction in the real estate and business, tax, and estate planning fields.
We offer cost-effective legal services. We staff legal matters with an appropriate, though not excessive, team of lawyers and support personnel, and, through technology such as a comprehensive media center with video-conferencing technology and trial presentation software, we achieve a level of efficiency often unmatched by larger law firms. We also welcome alternative fee arrangements.
Finally, we offer stability and consistency. In fact, most of our lawyers have spent their entire careers at the firm. Ultimately, through hard work, devotion to detail, and forceful advocacy, we’ve earned the respect of our peers nationwide – and a reputation for service, quality, and achieving results for our clients.